Local Government Information
NSHP Local Government Toolkit
Welcome to the California Energy Commission New Solar Homes Partnership (NSHP) Local Government Resources and Support website section. This section provides local government officials with a variety of useful tools and resources to help local governments encourage the development of energy efficient homes.
The NSHP's "Step-by-Step Guide for
Local Governments to Go Solar"
The Step-by-Step Guide for Local Governments to Go Solar is a "tool-kit" prepared for California cities and counties interested in encouraging energy efficient homes in their communities. It contains a variety of resources such as specific options for local government action, information about new legislation that helps local government finance solar energy installations and case studies from cities around the state.
Download Step-by-Step Guide for Local Governments to Go Solar
(PDF file, 39 pages, 3.6 megabytes)
Model Ordinances & Resolutions
The Step-by-Step Guide for Local Governments to Go Solar includes model ordinances and model resolutions that local governments can use to develop local programs that encourage community adoption of energy efficient technologies. The documents (available below) are presented in a modifiable format, allowing cities to modify the language, reformat the materials, address policy goals to suit local needs and requirements.
- NSHP Model Ordinance - Permit Waiver for Residential Solar Installations. (Word file, 44 kb)
- NSHP Model Ordinance - Solar Energy Education Program. (Word file, 48 kb)
- NSHP Model Resolution - Solar (Clean) Energy Financing District. (Word file, 48 kb)
- NSHP Model Resolution - Adoption of NSHP Guide as Reference Document. (Word file, 48 kb)
NSHP's Education and Outreach Materials
Education and outreach programs can be effective tools for local governments to encourage home owners and builders to install solar energy on new homes. The Step-by-Step Guide for Local Governments to Go Solar provides some examples of outreach materials that can help local governments undertake successful education and outreach efforts. These materials (outlined below) are available for download:
- Customizable brochure to promote local energy efficiency programs. (ZIP file of InDesign files, 5.2 megabytes)
- Model certificate to officially recognize builders who build with solar. (ZIP file of InDesign files, 1.6 megabytes)
- Model press release to officially recognize builders who build with solar. (Word file, 44 kb)
The web links below lead to useful resources developed to help support local governments' efforts to encourage solar energy and green building.
- The Governor's Office of Planning and Research: California Solar Permitting Guidebook
- California Air Resources Board: Tool Kit to Achieve Green House Gas Emission Reductions - www.coolcalifornia.org/local-government
- California: 2008 Green Building Standards Code - www.bsc.ca.gov